Artificial intelligence included
Named after the Devonian period, the DEVONtechnology marks the departure into a new age of data processing.
All our commercial applications are based on our unique proprietary artificial intelligence (AI) technology, named DEVONtechnology. This technology together with a rock-solid database foundation allow our applications to manage large numbers of documents or knowledge bits while analyzing them at the same time.
The development of the DEVONtechnology is at the forefront of the "battle" between two competing information processing technology concepts. We are working hard on unifying both the top-down and the bottom-up AI concepts by imitating high-level functions and simulating the basic functionality of natural systems. This leads to highly functional, fast and efficient AI systems that can be used in a great variety of information processing contexts.
The DEVONtechnology is suitable for a large variety of applications. It is flexible and handles various types of data, from pure text to structured information.
Part of the technology is a system-inherent compression. Networks, indexes, or databases built with the DEVONtechnology grow logarithmically. Therefore, depending on the type of stored data, when data is added the size of a database also grows logarithmically or at least less than linear.
Also, applications based on the DEVONtechnology improve themselves continuously — the more data they handle, the better the results —, are language-independent, and iron out any irregularities in the data pool by applying fuzzy logic.
Some of the most likely applications for the DEVONtechnology are structured and unstructured databases:
- Knowledge bases
- Expert systems
- Search engines
- Table-of-content generators
- Instant data-mining
- Intelligent agents
- Thesauri and context-sensitive help
In particular, applications dependent upon processing human language benefit from the flexible technology foundation.
The DEVONtechnology consists of a small and efficient kernel and several abstraction layers. Its core functions include:
- Data handling
- Semantic and associative data processing
- Signal processing
- Fast statistical analysises
- Fuzzy logic
The kernel is Unicode-aware, completely language-independent, self-optimizing, and self-organizing. It is 64-bit aware and uses a proprietary file format that features a number of unique characteristics:
- Logarithmic growth
- Logarithmic speed decrease
- Verify and repair functions
The layers form a shell around the kernel and provide high-level functions for the applications built on top of them. Two examples of layers extensively used in DEVONtechnologies applications are:
- The database layer stores and organizes data. It supports relations (1:n, n:1, n:n), hierarchies, and freeform databases. No indexing or primary keys are required, strings can be unlimited in size and the range of pre-defined data types can be easily extended.
- The XML layer handles structured textual data within the database or index; it has a very small overhead compared to DOM parsers or available XML databases, requires no indexing, and can be easily integrated with other databases.
Additional layers for specific applications, abstracting data formats, or implementing frequently used functions can be added. This makes it possible to adapt the DEVONtechnology to tasks yet unforeseen.